I too, didn't want to jump into this, but Doug's data prompts me to add one
point.

We use electrical energy mainly in two residential ways. First, there are
"informational" (lacking any better word) uses, such as operating a
television, clock or doorbell transformer. These loads may use a bit less
power if the voltage is reduced. I called them "informational", since they
convey information rather than perform work.

The second group are "working" devices. These devices transform electrical
energy into physical work. Examples of these are heating water, pumping
water, compressing gas, lifting mass, blowing air and creating light. In all
of these cases, we are modifying the state of matter by applying energy. As
an example, if we want to move 500 gallons of water (about 3000 pounds) to a
tank 100 feet above ground, we need to apply 300K foot-pounds of energy to
do it (neglecting all the little losses). That 300K ft-lbs (about 0.1 kWHr)
must be expended to do the job. If the voltage supply is reduced, the pump
motor may draw less power, but it will then do less mechanical work in a
unit of time. You still need to expend the same amount of energy; it just
takes longer to complete the work.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis