From: Fred Townsend [mailto:f...@poasana.com]
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 10:59 AM
To: Brian O'Connell
Cc: 'emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org'
Subject: Re: looking for used power supply

> Please visit the web pages of Elgar, Pacific Power, Agilent, etc. The
> requirement should be obvious.

I am very familiar with this type equipment. If you are familiar with this
type
equipment you should also know that an Elgar covering this power range,
variable
from say 40 to 400 Hz costs upwards of $25K, takes 5 rack bays to house, and
6
weeks to order in.

On the other hand if Mike is simply looking for something to make 50 Hz from
60
Hz then a simple motor gen set costing a few $K will do the job.

Finally if Mike is really trying to hook up a single phase load to a 3 phase
main, then all he needs is the right transformer.  <$1K

The operative word here is "variable" and in what context.  It seemed
obvious to
me that Mike was not familiar with this subject and could have
mis-specificed
his requirements, i.e. did he say variable when he meant compatible?

Fred Townsend