<3aae6bf8.1bb0c...@broadcom.com>, Jim Freeman <free...@broadcom.com>
wrote:
>This story is true but I heard that it was not Henry ford but Chicago Edison
>who
>was having problems and the consulting Engineer was Steinmetz. This was talked
>about in our Engineering 100 course at Purdue.

The story is also told about someone at Rolls-Royce and someone at
Krupp. Truly international!

There are several of these apocryphal stories, which may or may not have
ever happened. They provide an insight into the rich pageant of life and
warn against rash judgements. Consider these:

John Doe (autocratic boss of the large company of your choice) sees a
man sitting down, smoking and eating a pie. He gives the man a fistful
of money on the spot and says, 'You're fired. I'll have no slackers in
MY company.' A few days later, he sees the same man, walking round the
site. 'I thought I fired you. What are you doing still here?' 'You can't
fire me, I'm a government inspector.'

Three candidates A, B and C show up for interview for a senior post with
a multinational company. A says he wants a salary of 200 000 dollars. B
says he wants a salary of 300 000 dollars. C tells the interviewer he
wants 600 000 dollars. 'That's 200 000 for you, 200 000 for me, and we
let A do the work.'
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Foxhunters suffer from