<200102261711.jaa27...@epgc196.sdd.hp.com>, Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com>
wrote:

>With thanks to Ed Jones...
>
>On Thusday, February 22, The Wall Street Journal Europe
>published an interesting opinion on the harmonic current
>emissions standard.
>
>The opinion is by Rob Hunter, a lawyer and Chairman of
>the Centre for the New Europe, a Brussels-based think
>tank.

I think I may know a bit about the harmonics emission standard, since I
helped to write the latest big amendment, after ten years of agitating
for the need for amendment, and I am helping to write the next complete
revision. This amendment was developed *internationally*, with a US
expert from the computer and measuring instrument manufacturing sector
leading the work. For purely procedural reasons, it has been published
in CENELEC before being published by the IEC.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am sponsored for this work by a trade
association of manufacturers of professional audio and lighting
equipment.

>Mr. Hunter is quite critical of the EU "New Approach"
>process.  He says:
>
>    "In this procedure, the EU sets vague safety and
>    technical rules for everything from toys to super-
>    computers -- for example, toys shall be 'safe.'  The
>    EU then delegates to private standardization bodies

CEN and CENELEC are NOT 'private bodies'. ETSI is a private body.

CEN and CENELEC adopt ISO and IEC International Standards unless special
circumstances in Europe prevent that. If that is so, regional
amendments, applying in all participating countries, are introduced.

>    the drafting of detailed requirements explaining
>    what the delphic rules mean."

They NEED to be 'vague' (I prefer 'generic') so that the detailed
technical requirements can be developed by people who understand the
technical issues without unreasonable legal constraints.

>    "The supposed advantage of this New Approach is
>    twofold.  For industry, it gets to write the detailed
>    rules applying to it.  For the Commission, the New
>    Approach frees it from a burdenom task; it also
>    allows the Commission to claim that it has nothing to
>    do with writing the standards, and hence cannot be
>    held responsible."

That is false. DGIII of the Commission decides which standards it will
accept as providing prima facie evidence of conformity with Directives.
It does NOT accept all the standards it's offered. The Commission
DEMANDS responsibility for determining which standards are 'notified' in
the OJEC as acceptable.

>    "All this sounds quite above-board.  It isn't."
>
>    "For one thing, the standards are not merelay a means
>    of proving compliance with the underlying legislation.
>    They actually determine the meaning of the law itself."

That is essentially true. The alternative is to include all the
technical requirements in the Directives themselves. That was tried and
proved impracticable. Any improvement or revision of the technical
requirements, to relax unnecessary restraints or to allow for new
technology, requires the LAW to be changed in 18 countries, which takes
YEARS.

>Mr. Hunter discusses "...the way these standard-setting
>bodies can be gamed by industry insiders for advantage."

This has happened, but it has been ALLOWED to happen through apathy by
industry sectors that SHOULD have participated in the standards-making
process. It can't happen if committees are properly representative.

>Mr. Hunter goes on to show how the New Approach process
>allows the Commission to sidestep "...WTO laws prohibiting
>'mandatory' product measures that create 'unnecessary
>obstacles' to international trade."

They may be 'unnecessary' in his opinion: the reality may be different.
I don't think he is technically qualified to determine necessity.

>Mr. Hunter's opinion goes on to show that the only ones
>who benefit from the harmonic current emission standard
>are the European electricity distributors.  They "avoid
>investments in bolstering their networks against the
>theoretical harmonics risk" at the cost of manufacturers
>and consumers.

The risk is certainly NOT just theoretical. The failure mechanisms due
to harmonic currents are very well-understood, and are quite easy to
understand in most cases.

Analysis of the economic issues, **internationally**, with full
participation by American interests, indicates that the lowest-cost
solution to the problems created by harmonic currents almost certainly
comprises equipment-level mitigation (as required by the EMC Directive),
site-level mitigation (as indicated in IEEE 519) and system-level
mitigation (as practised by the supply industry for around 50 years).

After several years of unproductive and very costly contention, the
international work on this subject is now becoming consensual. It is
very undesirable for old contentions to be dragged up by people who are
apparently authoritative but are woefully ill-informed.

We now KNOW why the major problem with harmonic currents in the Americas
is 'hot neutrals', whereas in Europe there are several other problems as
well.
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Foxhunters suffer from