<E15CFB09B1FAD311B74700D0B746BDC12CC814@EMAIL>, John Juhasz
<jjuh...@fiberoptions.com> wrote:
>    I like to give the benefit of the doubt that the standard was created
> based
>    on sound technical evidence.

It was based on INADEQUATE technical evidence, but not on NO technical
evidence. Also involved was a prediction of how the demonstrated rise in
harmonics over the decade 1978-1988 would continue in the future. That
prediction seems to have been pessimistic, not because the harmonics
currents of distorting loads are less in proportion to the fundamental,
but because the fundamental has decreased due to design improvements and
'green' pressures.

I lead an IEC group which is producing an IEC Report on the subject
(future IEC61000-1-4).
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Foxhunters suffer from