Gary

EN55024:1998 , well at least my copy, also gives 2kV line to ground as the
surge voltages. Your persistent buzzing may be coming form the reference test
standard EN61000-4-5. It gives various surge voltages depending on the
Installation Class of the equipment.

Class 3 - Electrical Environments where cables run in parallel ( The one
generally used for IT equipment installations) requires the 2kV surge.

but

Class 4 - Electrical environments where the interconnections are running as
outdoor cables along with power cables, and cables are used for both electronic
and electric circuits. Requires a 4kV surge.

Both classes have a fully explanation in the body of the text, so you may want
to check the full definitions. Personally I have not seen many pieces of ITE or
component power supplies that can take a 4 kV surge and remain functional.

Gary McInturff wrote:

>         The last information I have is that EN55024:1998, which becomes
> effective very soon still only identifies surge test of 2Kv line to ground,
> but I have a persistant buzzing in my ear from a single source that is
> claiming it actually requires 4Kv for the surge test.
>         Has anyone else heard of a change to 4 Kv, - maybe ETSI?
>         Except for the Generic heavy industrial 50081-2 - which doesn't
> apply to ITE equipment very often, I have not seen this 4 Kv level. I would
> appreciate a sanity check.
>         Thanks
>         Gary

>      Jim Bacher:              jim_bac...@mail.monarch.com