see below

        Yes, I wont send my equipment to a test if I can't witness the
testing. While the test lab is certifying that the testing is performed
correctly, I believe the customer also has that responsibility. The customer
is ultimately responsible for the compliance of the unit.
> b) Are engineering/design type tests handled differently than compliance
> in
> this respect?
        Often the rates for engineering testing are different than
compliance testing.