Robert said:
>With no revenue, it is an exhibition, a test.

What if a company decided to give away a thousand radiocommunications
devices in London, and set up the required infrastructure to make them work,
all for free?

No revenue - but the devices sure did get put into service. Article 7.1 says
this should happen only if the product complies with the essential
requirements.

It's my interpretation that a Beta test is 'putting into service'. Perhaps
that's due to my experience - WLAN's - where a Beta test would be a large
installation complete with Access Points, and (at least) dozens of clients.
Hard to call that anything other than 'putting into service'. A customer
agreeing to be a Beta test site probably would also be purchasing the
equipment eventually, if not right away. Often equipment installed for beta
test is left in service at the site.

I'll grant you that Article 8.2 might be interpreted to include beta testing
(call it a demonstration?), but I think beta testing will usually violate
the spirit if not the text of the article. The article is intended to allow
sales/promotional activities in advance of compliance.

I think it also depends on how one defines 'beta test'.

I'd like to hear how others interpret the RTTED on this point. It's a grey
area, for sure.

Doug Massey
Lead Regulatory Engineer
LXE, Inc.