All the various standards specify that a metal ground plane be used for
an OATS.  This is to alleviate the problem with variations in the
conductivity of the ground, due to water table variations at any one
site or due to different soil and base materials among sites.  If the
level of the water table is affecting your site characteristics, this
suggests that the metal ground plane is too small.

Regarding snow accumulation on top of a metal ground plane, this will
also affect the characteristics of the site.  Measurements at any one
particular turntable  azimuth and antenna height will show great
deviations around a null; scanning the antenna height removes this great
uncertainty by measuring the peak.

The real test of the effect of snow accumulation is to perform two NSA
measurements, one in dry weather and one with the maximum snow coverage,
then compare these results.  The height at which the peak occurs may
change (and indeed ought to correlate with the change in height of the
reflecting plane due to snow, taking into account the conductivity and
dielectric constant of the snow compared to the conductivity of the
metal plane), but as long as the magnitude falls within the +/- 4 dB
tolerance, the site is okay.

Mike Heckrotte