How about reading the signal with another wattmeter of the same published
uncertainty?  If the reading is the same on both meters, or more accurately
the two readings fall within a tighter tolerance than the published
uncertainty, the real uncertainty has to be much less than the published
uncertainty of each meter, right?  To make this more convincing, the two
meters should be of different make and calibrated at different places, so as
to minimize the expectation of systematic error.

Essentially this is what I did in my precompliance facility, and it's not
really limited to a specific kind of equipment or measurement.  In order to
convince myself my test equipment was functional, I would feed the output of
my rf signal source into my spectrum analyzer, and checked that the analyzer
read the same amplitude and frequency.  It's a real good bet that if the
readings are substantially the same (within manufacturer's tolerances), that
the calibration is still okay, because if you suppose that one of the
machines is out of tolerance, then the other machine has to also be out of
tolerance by exactly the same amount and in the same direction.  Application
of Occam's razor leads to the conclusion that both machines are operating
correctly.