From: Robert Wilson [mailto:robert_wil...@tirsys.com]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 9:01 AM
To: Jim Conrad; Chris Wells; EMC-PSTC Discussion Group
Subject: RE: Bonding to conductive plastic - best method??

The first of your suggestions will not work with the material Chris is using.
Any polymer that has conductive material mixed in, tends to form a thin skin of
pure resin at its surface. A conductive paint or epoxy applied to the surface
will not come in contact with the metal strands, and all you will mainly get is
capacitive coupling.

Further, applying a silver-loaded epoxy to the surface of most metals
(including stainless steel) will not penetrate that material's natural oxide
layer and hence (unlike what most people I've talked to seem to think) will NOT
produce a reliable electrical connection, even when applied directly to the
metal. A reliable electrical connection to any metal requires that one must cut
through the metal's oxide layer. Thus, your second suggestion is more workable,
although he is basically using these already (the plastic screws he refers to
are very similar to sheet metal screws).

Bob Wilson
TIR Systems Ltd.
Vancouver.