Hi Chris,

I would try a Silver loaded conductive epoxy or use SS self tapping screws.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Chris Wells
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 10:23 PM
To: EMC-PSTC Discussion Group
Subject: Bonding to conductive plastic - best method??

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Wells <mailto:cdwe...@adelphia.net>
To: EMC-PSTC Discussion Group <mailto:emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
Cc: christopherdwe...@eaton.com <mailto:christopherdwe...@eaton.com>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 8:07 AM

Recently we had a good string going on conductive platics.
I would appreciate some help coming up with the ideal electrical bond to
this type of plastic.

We use a 6% Stainless Steel Fiber mix in Poly carbonate and I was looking
for the best method to electrically bond to the plastic to drain off ESD or
for high frequency bonding with the metal portion of our product.  This
would include Printed Circuit Board to plastic, Cable to plastic and metal
housing to plastic type connections.
For joining metal housing and PCB connections we have been using plastic
screws that mechanically are designed for plastic.
The threads are widely spaced, tall and thin - They cut into the plastic
with out breaking the mounting bosses (studs).
The engagement with the plastic (screw thread in plastic boss hole) is ~
100% leaving little or no air gap between the screw and the plastic.

First set of Question -
If using screws what would be the best type of screw to insure good contact
to the stainless steel fibers?
*         High profile, thin thread, plastic screw like I described?
*         Self tapping type screw?

What should the platting be?
*         Clear Zinc
*         Zinc Chromate?
*         Nickle on brass?
*         Stainless Steel?

Is there any sort of liquid/paste like adative that could be added to the
screw hole to enhance the electrical connection?

We have experimented with metal inserts (PEM nut brand for example).
What sort of bonding does one get when molded in?  I suspect poor relative
to press in.
Can the inserts be plain brass or should they be plated like with nickle?
Depth of inserts - Longer inserts should be better but I am concerned about
cracking of the boss.

Screen matterial in the screw boss.
I have seen screen matterial embedded in conductive plastic.
Perhaps it could help screws bond to the plastic as well.
Any comments?  Sounds messy.

Coatings on top of conductive plastic?
If a coating were placed on the inner surface of the conductive plastic it
might make a good hybrid sollution but costly.

Are there other considerations?
If you respond today try CC to
christopherdwe...@eaton.com <mailto:christopherdwe...@eaton.com>
So I get it at work too (the ITE guys can't handle this subscription list at
work)
This group is the best resource I have for this sort of topic - thanks in
advance!!

Chris Wells
Senior Design Engineer
Cutler-Hammer