I read in !emc-pstc that richwo...@tycoint.com wrote (in <846BF526A205F8
4BA2B6045BBF7E9A6A01F140FA@flbocexu05>) about 'General Product Safety
Directive', on Tue, 30 Apr 2002:

>Now, back to the original question. I found the following definition of
>professional apparatus in EN 55103-2 (immunity for professional A/V
>equipment): "Apparatus intended for use in trades, professions or industries
>and which is not intended for sale to the general public." The scope of the
>standard says that the standard does not apply to "consumer apparatus". So,
>it seems that the CENELEC authors of this standard are of the opinion that
>there is a difference between professional and consumer apparatus.

Yes, we do.

>If the
>authors are correct, the professional equipment I described is not included
>within the scope of the GPSD.

No, because we can't dictate to the Commission how to define 'consumer',
more particularly because they speak a superior sort of English with
which we are rather unfamiliar in Britain.

>If that is true, what safety related
>Directive, if any, applies? The only one I could find is the Liability
>Directive, 85/374/EEC. The closest that document comes to having an
>essential requirement is that "Lack of safety which the general public is
>entitled to expect determines the defectiveness of a product." Could it be
>that the regulation of safety of these types of products are the
>responsibility of the member states and governed by national worker safety
>regulations? Seems weird that there is a gap in the harmonization process
>for these types of products.

National worker safety regulations apply *in parallel* with the EU
product safety Directives, and they may well be inconsistent. I have a
case of that at present, but I won't go into much detail at this moment.
It involves EN60065 7th edition and the Health and Safety at Work Act in
Britain.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!