From: Douglas C. Smith [mailto:d...@emcesd.com]
Sent: April 24, 2002 10:33 AM
To: Chris Chileshe
Cc: 'Bill Ellingford'; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: A very nice game

Hi Chris and the Gang,

It was probably a particularly nasty one called W32/Klez.h@MM which I
have received through other channels several times lately. It is bad
enough that if you actually get infected (McAfee will prevent this if
your DAT files are reasonably new) you have to go into DOS and follow
steps outlined my McAfee to get rid of it as it disables virus scanners.
It appears to exploit an incorrect MIME header which causes IE to do
some nasty things to your computer automatically by just opening or
previewing the message. MAC's and PC's with Netscape Mail do not seem to
be infected. I opened the letter in Netscape Messenger and did not get
either a warning message or an infection. A URL on McAfee about this is:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99455

One way to help avoid this type of thing is not to open email larger
than a few tens (a long text message) of kB without knowing before who
sent it and why. Long messages can harbor viruses.

Doug

Chris Chileshe wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Do we know which virus it was?
>
> Regards

    ___          _       Doug Smith
     \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
      =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
   _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
 /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
 \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/