In a message dated 4/19/2002, you write:

> My "summarized" Analogue Modem Requirements
> TBR21 + EG 201 121 (Europe)
> FCC Pt 68 (Mexico and Canada acceptance?)
> TS002 (Australasia, no PTC 200?)

Hi Alex:

As Ron Pickard has already pointed out, Mexico's telecom requirements are not
fully harmonized with FCC Part 68, so there is a separate test and approval
process for Mexico.  I just wanted to add a couple comments about other
aspects of your proposed plan:

1) As you know, TBR 21 and EG 201 121 are strictly voluntary, so if you are
seeking to cut testing costs this is something you should look at.  If you
have good confidence in your modem design and you do not expect your
customers to insist on this testing, it is an avoidable expense.  I typically
perform internal testing for those parts of TBR 21 and EG 201 121 that are
relevant, but the formal testing at an outside lab is now of questionable
value.

2) You use the term "Australasia" in reference to TS 002.  Some people use
this term to refer to Australia and the entire Asian region.  Please keep in
mind that a TS 002 report will only get you approval in Australia.  Other
countries, such as New Zealand, China, Taiwan, and Singapore each have their
own requirements that are not identical to TS 002.  Fortunately, there is
considerable overlap in the requirements of the different countries, so a
carefully designed modem can meet the requirements of all these countries.
Other than a few software-controlled characteristics related to dialing and
such, the only hardware related parameter where there is a conflict is return
loss (Australia and Singapore can not both be addressed with a single
compromise impedance).

3) It's not clear whether your plan for worldwide approvals implies that you
have a single, worldwide modem design, but you may want to give some thought
to how you will address the various worldwide requirements.  With some
advance planning it is possible to have a single design that can be used
worldwide, but without such planning you will likely be forced to have
multiple versions of your modem.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.