In a message dated 9/18/02 4:40:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk writes:

> pair of headphones? Electrical ratings in there!<<<<

I own four sets of passive loudspeakers, a passive subwoofer and two pairs of
headphones.  I don't know which, if any of them are "properly labelled", but
none of them carry a voltage rating - which is what the scope criteria of the
LVD considers.  I'm sorry, but I'm ignorant of what EN 60065 says on the
subject.  Is a voltage rating required on passive loudspeakers?

Which brings up an interesting question....can we assume that the scope of an
EN standard is harmonized with the scope of a Directive?   For example, if an
EN standard includes requirements for a specific product (case in point,
passive loudspeaker), and the EN standard is listed in an Annex of the LVD,
is this grounds to conclude that the product is "clearly covered" under the
LVD?  I believe the answer is no.

I think we should be careful to remember that it is the Directive that
establishes the legal scope of CE marking application and the EN standard is
a voluntary instrument that can be used to establish compliance at the
manufacturer's discretion.

Greg G.
www.producapprovals.com