I read in !emc-pstc that Sam Wismer <swis...@acstestlab.com> wrote (in
<001701c2a514$be662790$0b01000a@sam>) about 'Euro AC Power Source' on
Mon, 16 Dec 2002:

>    Hi Group,
>
>    Its been a long time since my last post.  Hope everyone has been well.

I have a bad cold. All together now, 'Ahhh'. (;-)

>    We have a several AC power sources that can provide 230Vac/50Hz power.
> Only
>    one however provides true Euro power in that it provides 230VAc on the
> line
>    side.  This unit only has around 6 amps of capacity.  We need to be able
>    provide at least 20amps.
>

>    We have 2 other units with higher current capacity, but the 230 Volts can
>    only be provided via 115V on L1 and L2 to ground.  I have been told by
> some,
>    that using this power source is acceptable for emissions and immunity
>    testing.  Id like some feedback on that.  I can justify it, perhaps, for
>    radiated emissions, radiated fields, ESD and perhaps magnetic fields, but
>    am skeptical that this would be okay for AC mains testing that apply
>    immunity at various phase angles and also for EN 61000-3-2 and -3.  Any
>    comments?

It's NOT OK for conducted emissions or immunity. It IS OK for everything
else, AFAICS, including harmonics and voltage changes.

>    Another question, we have tried using a 2:1 transformer to step up the
> 115,
>    but we end up with about 60Volts of bleed over to the other line.  Is this
>    typical of transformers?  Anyway to prevent this?

It probably doesn't matter, as another post said. But why don't you use
a 1:1 double-wound transformer fed across L1-L2, to give you a secondary
you can ground at one end?
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!