From: Sam Wismer [mailto:swis...@acstestlab.com]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 8:07 AM
To: EMC Forum
Subject: Euro AC Power Source

Hi Group,
It's been a long time since my last post.  Hope everyone has been well.

We have a several AC power sources that can provide 230Vac/50Hz power.  Only
one however provides true Euro power in that it provides 230VAc on the line
side.  This unit only has around 6 amps of capacity.  We need to be able to
provide at least 20amps.

We have 2 other units with higher current capacity, but the 230 Volts can
only be provided via 115V on L1 and L2 to ground.  I have been told by some,
that using this power source is acceptable for emissions and immunity
testing.  I'd like some feedback on that.  I can justify it, perhaps, for
radiated emissions, radiated fields, ESD and perhaps magnetic fields, but I
am skeptical that this would be okay for AC mains testing that apply
immunity at various phase angles and also for EN 61000-3-2 and -3.  Any
comments?

Another question, we have tried using a 2:1 transformer to step up the 115,
but we end up with about 60Volts of bleed over to the other line.  Is this
typical of transformers?  Anyway to prevent this?

Kind Regards,

Sam Wismer
Engineering Manager
ACS, Inc.