Joe,

It is quite common for local filtering consisting of an inductor followed by
a capacitor to be added in the logic-level supply rail following an on-board
DC:DC converter when powering sensitive ICs.  Often there are many such
filters on each card and it is not feasible to fuse each of them
individually.  If you short, or partially short (low resistance) the output
capacitor then you can reach a condition where the DC:DC converter keeps
pumping power into the fault and either the inductor fails or the output
tracks burn up.  [Of course, this is just one example of many where
components are placed in series with the supply line.]

I must say that my approach has been to consider that provided that the
inductor open circuits cleanly (perhaps some smoke, but no fire and no
charring of the pcb on which the inductor is mounted) then that is OK
safety-wise.  Personally, I would not be happy if an inner-layer trace were
to burn up for both safety reasons and board re-use reasons.  I'm none too
keen on surface layers burning up either.

A possible safety problem with inner traces opening is that this failure
could damage the safety insulation (e.g. by charring or de-lamination)
between other traces on that pcb.   This of course would vary from board to
board and may not have been an issue for Joe's board.

Of course, I am also open to flaming but to an extent that's how we all
learn.

Perhaps some will take issue with me in applying a partial short in addition
to a dead short.  In my defence I will say that I work for a manufacturer
and not a test lab and the reality is that failed capacitors are unlikely to
have a zero ohm impedance when they fail in real life.  The question then
becomes one of how far should one go to minimise product liability?

So, having put on my Nomex clothing I await a reply!

Richard Hughes