From: Marko Radojicic
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 11:14 AM
To: 'j...@aol.com'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org; t...@world.std.com
Subject: RE: Short circuit tests in GR-1089

Joe,

The short-circuit test is to simulate the most prevalent source of telecom
disruption: the back-hoe.

When a buried cable is inadvertently cut, the pairs could short together or
to the cable sheath. I really can't see how a test lab can misinterpret the
requirement (R4-6 for telecom ports). It clearly states that replacing fuses
is not an allowable situation.

"The EUT shall not be damaged, shall not require manual intervention (such
as to reset circuit breaker or replace fuses) to restore service, and shall
not become a fire, fragmentation, or electrical safety hazard as a result of
the application of a short circuit ..."

I'm quite sure that whomever you spoke with at the test lab is in error and
will probably reconsider their position if they read the standard a little
more carefully.

Cheers,
Marko

Marko Radojicic