From: Conway, Patrick R [mailto:conw...@louisville.stortek.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 1:12 PM
To: 'Pettit, Ghery'; 'emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org'
Subject: RE: Ferrite clamps

Gherry-
        It will be interesting to see if ITI are successful with the FCC on
this topic.  The ferrite clamp devices seem to be counter productive to the
original intent of the laws.

        I may be *way* off base here but I'll explain:

        Point #1- It seems to me that the original intent behind the Part 15
Unintentional Radiator requirements was to protect licensed operators from
the "noise" generated by digital devices.  The original limits and test
methods were widely scrutinized over the years.  They have also been updated
and adjusted as necessary.  As Jim Bacher pointed out in an earlier email on
this thread, the limits and methods have been shown to protect those
licensed services from interference.  So- I'm sure the FCC will be asking:
"if it isn't broke, why fix it" (my words, not theirs!!).

        Point #2- Since data exists showing that the clamps *decrease*
emissions during a test, couldn't the use of a clamp let a product into the
market that could potential *cause* interference? (it isn't broke- but this
change may break it)

        Point #3- For as long as I can remember, if a ferrite bead is put on
a cable during testing then that *exact* cable with that *exact* ferrite
bead has to be delivered to the customer along with the product.  How does
the floor mounted ferrite get an exception to this?

        I can understand the motivation of a lab owner wanting to have
agreeable measurements with another lab.  It's good business for him to say
he can agree with any one else.  However- if the foundation for the rules is
to decrease interference problems then aren't we (the compliance community)
a little off-base on this one ?

        Maybe I'm missing some important details here.  Someone correct me
if I'm wrong...

Best Regards,

Patrick Conway  NCE

EMC Advisory Engineer