Andrew, David,
A method that I read about in the 1980's, in the Hewlett-Packard
Journal, was a method called STRIFE Testing.  In this method you tested
prototypes to the design limits, then you progressively increased the
stresses until your prototype(s) broke.  You analyzed the failures,
hardened your prototypes against this failure mode, and resumed testing.

At some point you would see several different failure modes within a
fairly narrow band of (hopefully outside the design window) stresses.
This told you that you had pushed your basic design scheme about as far
as it would go.  You now knew:
1.  How to squeeze the most out of your design.
2.  How much margin you had.

If you wanted more design margin in this area, you would have to look at
other design schemes.

A. D. Moore's book "Electrostatics" talks about this kind of progressive
hardening of a design on pages 78 to 83.

I still haven't managed to find that original HP Journal article, but
    Meeker, William Q., and Hamada, Michael. "Statistical Tools for the
    Rapid Development & Evaluation of High-Reliability Products," Sept.
    20, 1999  (download from
    http://www.stat.iastate.edu/preprint/articles/1995-07.pdf    )
talks about STRIFE testing on page 21.

                                        John Barnes