Interesting observations from all. I would appreciate if the good people
that posted on this subject could reveal the item, or product category being
tested. It would be interesting to see the "relative relevance" of each test
or analysis technique (e.g., MH217, HALT, HASS, ESS, etc) to the product's
short and long-term performance.

In my current job, I apply HALT and MTBF calculations to component power
supplies. HALT seems to quickly reveal a physical or electronic design
weakness. But once (manager-selected) design flaws have been removed, HALT
does not seem to predict which component is likely to fail over the power
supply's life.

I have researched some of my employer's MTBF reports and found most to
accurately predict failure modes.

Brian