Jim, as I see it, EFT and Surge are not a whole lot different except for the amount of power in the surge pulses. Surge is pretty much a test of the power supply's ability to handle the power and not pass it to the secondary circuitry. I believe that a good line filter coupled with the use of a power supply that also has a CE mark and has passed surge testing constitutes a pretty good design and hence my comments about reciprocity between low emissions and high immunity resistance.

We did have experience with one switching power supply which failed surge testing where the design folks decided to forego the line filter for cost reasons. I hate that, because it usually means we spend more money solving the failure issues over what the savings are in the design. The fix required the power supply manufacturer to put a sleeve over one set of windings which was arcing, the cost of which was passed on to us since it was a special, so to speak. There were no signal integrity issues.

Warren Birmingham
Epsilon-Mu Consultants