Dear Rich
Many thanks for your useful analyses.

I was wrong to suggest that the 'computer industry' is in denial about mains
harmonics - I realise that many people in that industry have made and are
making valuable contributions in that field.
But I am sure that the claims that there is 'no scientific evidence' for
harmonics problems would not stand the light of day. In the UK harmonic
problems due to fluorescent lighting have been discussed in public fora since
the 1950's, and Arrilaga's important textbook on harmonics was published in
1985. The IEE (based in London) held an international conference on harmonics
in power systems in 1981.

I haven't costed any PFC designs for a while, but there now appear to be
solutions available that have much lower cost then the 'active PFC' front
converters we used to use. For example: the 'charge-pump' method,  which does
not use additional switching devices - see Infineon Application Note: AN-TDA
1684X (version 1.2 dated June 2000) and a (probably) forthcoming article on
improving this technique in a future issue of Compliance Engineering Magazine
(www.ce-mag.com).

Regards, Keith Armstrong