Chris asks:

>>>In a quick paragraph, would you provide your opinion on the value of a
Non-NRTL Listing Certification. <<<<<

Hard to talk about value in such general terms, when the neither the product
nor the application is known.   However, a few reactions come to mind:

1.  UL was a non-NRTL Listing provider for the first 85 years of its
existence.   Obviously a third party certification organization can provide
value to first and second parties in the absence of government accreditation
programs.

2.  There are 3rd party listing programs for many products or functions under
which there is no NRTL accreditation program applicable.  Obviously, there is
value in listing in these areas also.

3.  Not all NRTL laboratories are equally regarded by authorities or by the
market - so NRTL accreditation is not the sole basis, nor is it always the
primary basis for determining the value of a listing.

4.  In its strictest sense, the NRTL accreditation applies to workplace
requirements and certain installation codes.   In all other applications for
electrical products, including household consumer appliances and electronics,
there is no legal requirement for NRTL listing, and I'm not clear on whether
NRTL based listing would provide any advantage over non-NRTL based listing in
the case of  a liability suit.  I suspect not.  I suspect also that if a
household consumer of electrical products is concerned about listing, they
are looking at certifcation brands, and have little or no understanding of
what an NRTL designation is.

5.  Having said all of the above, it always behooves a manufacturer to use an
NRTL certifier if one is available.

My opinions.

Greg Galluccio
www.productapprovals.com