It is difficult to generalize without knowing more of the specifics such as
logic family, clock rate, edge rate, trace impedance, etc. but I'll try. ;)

scott....@jci.com wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a question regarding trace routing for high-speed clock signals.
>
> I have one driver, and two receivers.  The distance between the driver and
> 1st receiver is roughly 2.5cm, the distance between 1st receiver and 2nd
> receiver is 3cm, and the distance between driver and 2nd receiver is 3.5cm.
>
> I actually have 2 questions:
>
>       1) What is a good rule of thumb for routing and termination of this
> high-speed clock trace?

Do it carefully.  Sorry to be so obtuse but without knowing what the "speed" is
in "high-speed" I don't know what else to say.

>       2) Is daisy chain routing preferred (meaning driver to 1st receiver,
> then 2nd receiver), or should 2 traces of equal length be routed, 1 to each
> receiver (each of these two traces will have twice the impedance of the
> single trace emanating from the driver so that impedance matching will be
> maintained)?

Daisy chaining is to be avoided since it increases clock skew but it is much
simpler to drive and terminate.  Termination reduces reflections but leads to
higher static and dynamic current flow.  EMI is related to current flow so it
is possible to increase EMI by terminating. Double the traces and you more than
double the termination problems.  There are partial solutions such as partial
termination and diode clamping techniques such as "Forced perfect" but none are
simple. This is why SI Engineers make good money.

For your geometry your 2t reflection on a daisy chain would occur around 300
ps.  This is probably acceptable unless you have some sub nanosecond logic in
your circuit.

Ok to generalize, you don't need to daisy chain if the total path is not over
say 5 cm in length. (This assumes you are not running sub nanosecond or TTL
logic.) You can probably get by without terminating or by partially terminating
in say 200 ohms.

Fred Townsend
DC to Light Consulting