Only one comment: If you take this peg board to an OATS how can they
maximize the cables?

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex McNeil [mailto:alex.mcn...@ingenicofortronic.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 10:00 AM
To: 'emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org'
Subject: Radiated Emissions setup

Hi Forum,

As we all know test setups are absolutely critical to EMC results. I have
the good fortune of having a good pre-compliance radiated emissions site (3m
OATS, Fully or Semi Anechoic Chamber). From using this site I see all sorts
of "funnies" but still the most annoying is how much you can change the
emission results just by changing cable positions. I carry out regular EMC
audits and could never quite get the same results as 6 months previous, when
that particular product was last tested (I keep the master product and was
still getting different results due to setup). I now use an "Audit" board
where I bundle the cables (30-40cm) in a particular "figure of 8" fashion
via fixed wooden pegs. Thru' time I have convinced myself that this not only
gives me worst case emissions but also that much sought after REPEATABILITY!
I believe the setup is as per EN55022.

I have a photograph* of this Audit board to allow this forum to comment on
the good and the bad points of using such a system. Also, is there any
reason I cannot take this Audit board to a Test House for Product Compliance
testing and at the same time get correlation between a Compliance site and
my own site?

Photograph details (EUT with 3 X Serial Ports, PSTN and DC SELV power
connection)
1.      The 1M, 2M and 3M indicate the Horizontal bundling of cables from
RS232 ports which would go to a tabletop EUT peripheral (or leave open
circuit). The 3 lengths are connected to similar ports. This covers the
different lengths issues.
2.      The P is the inline power supply O/P cable going to the EUT. This is
bundled vertically as it represents the power supply sitting on a customers
floor.
3.      The T is the PSTN telecomms cable. Again bundled vertically as it
represents the cable going from the EUT to the wall socket.

Finally,
I have never understood the EN55022 figure 10 note 1 "If cables which hang
closer than 40cm to the horizontal ground plane cannot be shortened to
appropriate length, the excess shall be folded back and forth forming a
bundle 30cm to 40cm long". Does this mean you can cut the cable to 1m or ?
even though you will be shipping say 2m cables with the product?

*I have not attached the photograph, 212Kb. This will be sent to those
requesting it i.e. to those people who are thinking of commenting on this
email.

I look forward with interest to this forums comments.

Kind Regards
Alex McNeil
Principal Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)131 479 8375