From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Michael Taylor
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 2:02 PM
To: 'Ken Javor'; Robert Wilson; shbe...@rockwellcollins.com;
emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: question on measuring bonding impedance

  I promised myself I was not going to drag out my soap box and jump into
this but . . .!
  (this discussion is limited to only the issue of the measurement of bond
impedance - not if the connection can stand xx amps)

  While MIL 5087 establishes some bonding requirements & methods,  for
domestic product safety EN-61010 Sect 6.5.1 requires 25Amps (DC or ACrms) or
2x the fuse rating.  I have never liked this method of testing.

  Does it make any sense to test the impedance of a connection by welding it
???
  Any of the low voltage (low current) ac bridge or Kelvin methods will tell
you the actual impedance of the joint.
  Or, it will tell you that an oxide layer exists in the bond at that test
potential (stress) level.  The oxide layer may only be angstroms thick and
require a few nanovolts potential difference to punch through, but you know
what it really is.

  Not, what the welded connection has become.  The impedance and the area of
the bond determine the current carrying capacity.

  If "proper" testing indicates an oxide layer problem then it can be dealt
with mechanical means to establish a "gas tight" connection or with the
introduction of a conductive compound.  Bell Labs developed the best
conductive compound I have ever come across, called NO-OX. Developed to
produce a 20 year stable ultra-low Z connection on the DC battery buss bars
in telephone switching centers  It's exact composition is unknown but I
think it includes reconstituted catfish pond sludge (or some equally fowl
compound).  I remain a firm proponent of finesse not "nuke um & see what's
left" although the 1010 standard forces me to do the high amperage test. I
do it but I don't like it.

  I'll put my soapbox away now, it's time for the people in white coats to
return me to the home.
  Regards,
  Michael Taylor
  (thawing out in Colorado)