David -- how are you coupling into the signal line?? The diagram shows the
0.5uF capacitor in series with a 40 ohm resistor -- are you using these
values??

If I'm doing the math correctly, a 20mH coil has an impedance of about 12.5k
ohms at 100kHz (2 x 3.14159 x 100kHz x 20mH), and about 370 ohms at 3kHz. If
your signal line is balanced, there will be a choke in each line effectively
doubling the impedance to the signal. Seems to me you won't get much signal
through at any data rate over a few kHz. What am I missing??

The experiments we've done here show that the only way to get to 100kHz is
to use resistors in place of the chokes and clamping protectors on the input
side. (Chokes alone won't protect the input side from seeing a large surge
voltage.) Additionally, most data lines won't tolerate the .5uF capacitor in
series with the 40 ohms (and then the 2 ohms source impedance of the
generator). That 42 ohms back into the generator places an effective load on
the data line of 42 ohms to ground AFTER the 20mH chokes, forming a voltage
divider of about 300:1. In our 100kHz version, we use arrestor coupling to
minimize the capacitance hanging on the line.

As a manufacturer, we make a coupler that incorporates both methods
described above -- 20mH chokes and 0.5uF capacitor -- good to about 3kHz,
plus the arrestor coupling with resistors -- good to about 100kHz.

Best Regards,

Mike Hopkins