It is unfortunately the case that it is easy to create a sound system having
mediocre performance using ready-made audio cables with shields connected at
both ends.
The technical knowledge required to install a system that performs correctly
and is safe is available, at a cost, and that is where the risk taking behavior
with protective grounds enters the picture.
Untrained people try quick and dirty methods to solve what can be genuinely
complex electrical installation requirements.
Between microphone and power amplifier there is commonly 1000x voltage gain.
Plus another 30x to 100x in the power amplifier. So 1mV noise on the signal
input common would become several volts at the speaker, deafening.
For good performance the signal input common must be clean of hum and RF down
to microvolt levels, yes micro-volts. And you computer engineers think you have
problems with voltage discrimination on 3V logic....?

seems like some education is in order, ground loops 101:

The problem with ground loop hum pickup is real and the solution requires that
each piece of equipment is grounded once, and once only.
Ground loops get created by inexperienced installers when they use audio cables
with the shields on at both ends to hook up AC powered gear that has chassis
and signal common connected.

If you ever installed a room full of audio gear, or a building full, you know
that there are several techniques for controlling hum pickup and one is to
eliminate ground loops.
A ground loop is created when there are two paths for ground between two
physically separated pieces of equipment.
The most common loop is from the AC ground at the first outlet, up the line
cord onto the chassis.
Through the chassis onto signal ground.
Out of the first unit via the signal shield.
Along the signal shield to the signal ground of the second item.
>From signal ground to chassis in the second unit and from chassis down the AC
>line cord to the AC ground of the second outlet.
This path is supposedly at one potential throughout but that is impossible in
the presence of a 50/60Hz AC field due to the magnetic field radiated from AC
powered circuits.
Recall school physics?
When a conductor cuts magnetic lines of force an emf is generated.
The physical size of the loop and the strength of the 50/60Hz field in the
vicinity will determine how much current flows in the ground loop.
If this dirty ground is allowed to become the signal common at the input to a
device with gain it will appear at the output amplified.
In the case of multichannel devices like recorders and mixers the hum signal
will be coherent at all inputs and will sum at the output.

The loop can be broken in many places.

The sensible place to break it is by lifting the connection between signal
ground and chassis in either unit or by not connecting the signal shield at
both ends of the audio cable.

When all the equipment has balanced audio ins and outs there is little
difficulty because you can separate signal common from chassis.

Problems arise with lower cost unbalanced items which have signal common and
chassis combined.

The correct technique with these is to introduce audio isolation transformers
on the signal lines, not cheap, not always easy.
Alternatively a rigidly enforced single point grounding scheme for all
protective grounds and signal commons will also work.
This requires the preparation of a plan, drawings, skilled installation labor
and supervised maintenance.
No problem so long as you have the budget.

One quick and dirty way to break loops as a temporary measure with unbalanced
gear is to allow protective ground to be connected via the audio shield to the
next item's chassis.
Then the AC third wire on the unbalanced item is lifted to break the loop.
This has a serious vulnerability. when the audio is unplugged the protective
ground may be interrupted.
For this reason you will only find the quick dirty fix in unsupervised
installations such as home studios and small time theater.
The technician who does this stuff is usually untrained and working on an
unpaid basis doing the best he can.
The alternative, to design and create single point grounded wiring for the
complete audio installation, is beyond the resources of such facilities. So
they live with the risk. Note that if this occurs it is because the installer
overrides the manufacturers instruction to connect a protective ground.
In my experience no one goes to the trouble of opening the equipment to
disconnect the protective ground, it is done at the AC outlet by defeating the
protective ground connection.
Anyone who has ever done this knows how uncomfortable it feels and how it
promotes efforts to fix the problem with one of the proper safe solutions as a
matter of urgency.

.....I find the claims of some posters today about defeat-hardware they have
seen for protective grounds to be unbelievable irrational and inflammatory.
In my opinion you will not see pro audio equipment with a method of defeating
the protective ground. It would be unsafe.
I challenge people who say they have seen such things to give the manufacturer
and model of the hardware.
What you may have seen was a signal ground defeat method not a protective
ground defeat method.

Would you want to expose your sound system to the risk of going live? No, nor
does any amateur or professional sound system installer or operator.

Someone posted that they believed hum problems could be solved by 'proper'
grounding.
The implication is that sound installers are failing to install adequate
earthing conductors and using defective plugs.
Apart from being disrespectful this overlooks the reality of extended ground
loops and their interference effect on signal common.
There are several reference sources you may prefer to trust on the subject, the
AES.org website may be a good place to begin for sound studio practice.
PA sound systems for fixed installation and for touring require application of
the same practice often on a bigger scale.
In the US the NSCA may be able to provide some verification of what I have
written above.

Every public venue, sports arena, recording studio, radio broadcast station and
theater in every country on the planet has had to deal with the realities of
installation for high quality audio distribution but unfortunately the skills
and knowledge are still not widely known.

Best Regards

Ted Rook, Console Engineering, ext 4659

Please note our new location and phone numbers:

Crest Audio Inc, 16-00 Pollitt Drive
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410 USA

201 475 4600 telephone receptionist, 8.30 - 5 pm EST.
201 475 4659 direct line w/voice mail, 24 hrs.
201 475 4677 fax, 24 hrs.