From: POWELL, DOUG [mailto:doug.pow...@aei.com]
Sent: March 12, 2002 3:26 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Wire spool labeling requirements

Over the years, there is a question that has plagued me (there are many
others).  This one is just a curiosity and maybe someone in this group
knows
the answer.

Four times a year we are audited for our NRTL certifications and the
inspector makes it clear that using wire in our products with the UL
recognition and CSA certification marks is not sufficient.  Even though
we
have incoming inspection records, it seems they always want to see the
wire
spool in our stock rooms and make sure it has the proper labels.

I understand all the concerns with using an approved respooling house to
maintain the integrity of the wire.  What I don't understand is how a
simple
adhesive label on the spool is better evidence than the embossed
markings
that appear along the entire length of the wire.  It seems to me that if
someone wished to fraudulently mark a wire as approved material, the
labeling of the spool is easily done and would be the least of their
worries.

Can anyone explain the history behind this requirement?

thanks,

-doug

-----------
Douglas E. Powell, Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Mail stop: 203024
1626 Sharp Point Drive
Ft. Collins, CO 80525

970.407.6410 (phone)
970-407.5410 (fax)
mailto:doug.pow...@aei.com
-----------

This message, including any attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and proprietary information of Advanced Energy Industries,
Inc.
The dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message or any
of
its attachments is strictly prohibited without the express written
consent
of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.

     Dave Heald:               davehe...@mediaone.net

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/