From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Wan Juang Foo
Sent: maandag 11 maart 2002 4:36
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Electric field radiation from rf currents

Ken,
Um, my apologies, I typed too fast and read too little.
> E (V/m) = 1.26 10^-4 (f*L*Icm)
>
> In this equation, f is frequency in MHz, L is cable length in meters, and
> Icm is current in milliamperes.
If f is in MHz, and Icm is in mA, then the constant should be OK as it is.
Regarding  You said it, that's the assumption behind the electrically short
radiating element (Hertzian Dipole).  The assumption is that the current
distribution along the radiating element is constant.

If the radiating element is electrically short then the RE should be
proportional to the length of the radiating element.

This assumption starts to fall apart as l approaches lambda/4.  In the
example cited:
> MHz, 1.5 meter cable length and 2 mA current to arrive at a predicted
field
> intensity of 92 dBuV/m.  Note that 1.5 meters is one half wavelength at
100
> MHz, so this is a half-wave dipole.  I could instead use:
>
> Pd = Pt G/4 pi r^2
>
> and substitute E^2/120 pi = Pd. If I further assume I am driving 2 mA
into
> the antenna which looks like 72 Ohms and has a numeric gain of 1.64, then
> get 81 dBuV/m, which is 11 dB less than predicted by Mr. Armstrong's
As l approaches lambda/4, the model will over estimate the radiated
emission as the current distribution is more like a quarter of a cycle of a
cosine wave.  This model will have to be replaced by another model
(equation).
> Can anyone comment on this?  Or offer other expressions and their
> derivations (or references)?  Thank you in advance.
Referring to page 187 of CR Paul, (Eq 5.22) you can use:

E= 60 I/r

for fields at broadside theta=90 degrees for an electrically lambda/4
monopole that is thin.
if I= 2 mA, r=10 meters, then
therefore E= 0.012 V/m or 81 dBuV/m which is the same as your isotropic
model.

sincerely,

Tim Foo

|         |           Ken Javor         |
|         |           <ken.javor@emccomp|
|         |           liance.com>       |
|         |           03/11/02 10:59 AM |

---------------------------------------------|

emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org                                             |
  |        cc:
|
  |        Subject: Re: Electric field radiation from rf currents

---------------------------------------------|

I believe the original equation posted by Mr. Armstrong had numerically
taken into account the 1/r factor.  At least it works out right if you
assume that the 1.26 e-4 part derives from 4 pi * 1e-7 Henry/m, the
permeability of free space.  My problem was the assumption implicit in the
equation that radiation efficiency would monotonically increase with
increasing cable length, which is counter-intuitive unless the cable is
electrically short.

----------
>From: "Wan Juang Foo" <f...@np.edu.sg>
>To: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>, <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
>Subject: Re: Electric field radiation from rf currents
>Date: Sun, Mar 10, 2002, 8:55 PM
>

> Ken,
> The 1/r term is missing from that equation, I belive that it was factor
> into the constant errornously.  The constant should be 1.26 e-7.
> :-)
> The equation for the worst case (with ground plane reflection) commom
mode
> current radiating from a 'electriaclly short' radiating element ( Herzian
> dipole)  and note in this case cable is too long to be considered
> electrically short anyway.  :-)
> The Equation should/could also be expressed  as
>                  [ 4 pi x 10 -7 f I l ]
>
> where (4pi x 10^7)/10  = 1.257e-7
>
> AFAIK, this is a simplified equation and deriable from 1st principle.
<snip>

     Dave Heald:               davehe...@mediaone.net

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/