Colleagues,

Pursuant to a completely different discussion a couple months ago , Mr.
Keith Armstrong presented the following equation as one which predicts the
electric field at 10 meters due to common mode currents on a cable.  I now
find myself in need of just such an equation, but I have some problems with
this one which I am hoping the forum can address.

E (V/m) = 1.26 10^-4 (f*L*Icm)

In this equation, f is frequency in MHz, L is cable length in meters, and
Icm is current in milliamperes.  Mr. Armstrong substituted values of 100
MHz, 1.5 meter cable length and 2 mA current to arrive at a predicted field
intensity of 92 dBuV/m.  Note that 1.5 meters is one half wavelength at 100
MHz, so this is a half-wave dipole.  I could instead use:

Pd = Pt G/4 pi r^2

and substitute E^2/120 pi = Pd. If I further assume I am driving 2 mA into
the antenna which looks like 72 Ohms and has a numeric gain of 1.64, then I
get 81 dBuV/m, which is 11 dB less than predicted by Mr. Armstrong's
equation.  I could account for 6 dB by assuming constructive interference
from a ground bounce, but I see nothing in Mr. Armstrong's equation to lead
me to believe that it includes a ground bounce factor.  I attribute the
total 11 dB difference to the fact that the current distribution is uneven
on a half-wave dipole and perhaps Mr. Armstrong's equation is a low
frequency approximation assuming uniform current distribution.

Can anyone comment on this?  Or offer other expressions and their
derivations (or references)?  Thank you in advance.

Ken Javor