Dear all,

I'm not familiar with UL1950. But concerning household electrical
appliances, as far as I know, UL accepts HB classified material for
electrical enclosures as long as the following requisites are met:

- all live parts are insulated;
- wiring insulation within the enclosure is VW-1 classified;
- connectors are recognized;
- enclosure thickness is not less than the minimum thickness the material
classifies HB.

I believe that another alternative is that enclosure pass the Electrical
Enclosure Flammability Test as per UL746C.

I have never seen any mention to material volume in UL94 or UL746C (except
about volume resistivity test), but I recall reading something regarding the
exposure area (sq-ft) when the enclosure is subject to external ignition
sources. UL746C has such kind of requirement, which does not come to my mind
at this time. In order to avoid saying any stupid thing, I would recommend
taking a look at UL746C (anything like Flame Spread Test...).

Rgds,

Luiz

Em 27 Feb 2002, T.Sato escreveu:

>On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:33:41 -0800 (PST),
> Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> wrote:
>
>> > Can anyone give me any information on whether a box with less than .33
>cubic
>> > feet needs to meet UL Flammability ratings?
>> > I have been told this is true, but I can not find the location of that
>> > information.
>>
>> I believe the requirement you are referring to is
>>
>> Sub-clause 4.3.3, UL1950/IEC 60950
>> Sub-clause 4.7.3.3, UL 60950-1/IEC 60950-1
>>
>> This requirement exempts materials and components within
>> an enclosure of 0.06 m^3 from flammablity requirements.
>
>The above exemption is for components in fire enclosures, but
>I guess that Paul is asking of the enclosure itself.
>
>In general, if the enclosure contains something which need fire
>enclosure to reduce the risk of fire hazard, the enclosure should
>be a fire enclosure hence should UL94 V-1 or better.
>Parts not requiring a fire enclosure are defined in the standards,
>and everything else will need a fire enclosure.
>
>Regards,
>Tom

>Tomonori Sato <vef00...@nifty.ne.jp>
> ---- xvkbd-2.1 (virtual keyboard for X) available ----

>with the single line:
> unsubscribe emc-pstc
>
>For help, send mail to the list administrators:
> Ron Pickard: emc-p...@hypercom.com
> Dave Heald: davehe...@mediaone.net
>
>For policy questions, send mail to:
> Richard Nute: ri...@ieee.org
> Jim Bacher: j.bac...@ieee.org
>
>All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
> http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/
> Click on "browse" and then "emc-pstc mailing list"

Oi! Você quer um iG-mail gratuito?
Então clique aqui: http://registro.ig.com.br/censo/igmail