From: Scott Douglas [mailto:dougl...@naradnetworks.com]
Sent: 25 June 2002 13:16
To: Muriel Bittencourt de Liz; Lista de EMC da IEEE
Subject: Re: Environmental question

Muriel,

Don't know if there are any agency type regulations but can remember
this issue came up when the government wanted to install a
communications antenna in the north woods of Wisconsin. The antenna was
to be used to communicate to submarines deep under water using something
like 30 Hz or 60 Hz radio waves. The antenna was a long (miles long)
cable buried underground. There were many battles between the local
citizens, various environmental and animal groups, and the government
(US Navy?). If I recall correctly, there were even court cases trying to
prevent the antenna from being installed. The concerns were related to
what effect the RF would have on the environment to include plants and
animals. Don't know for sure, but I believe the antenna was actually
installed and was/is operating. Might be worth a look to see what came
of that and to see what arguments were made pro/con. Might even be
something came out of all that related to what you want to know.

Regards,
Scott

Senior Compliance Engineer
Narad Networks