Hi John:

>   >For example, at a previous employer, I observed several instances of FETs
>   >(in a 3kVA instrument) exploding and sending molten metal (mostly from the
>   >leads and the lead's solder pads) through chassis vents, that subsequently
>   >caused the surrounding cheesecloth to ignite.
>
>   WOW! I wouldn't have though that there would be enough energy in the
>   droplets after their flight through the air to cause ignition. Did you
>   treat the cheesecloth with potassium nitrate solution before the test?

Molten metal has:

    high temperature
    high stored energy
    high thermal conductivity

A small drop (1-2 mm diameter) of molten
copper falling through about 0.4 meter
will ignite non-flame-retardant plastic
material (I've done the test and have the
pix).

Very much smaller pieces would ignite
unalduterated cheesecloth.

Best regards,