I read in !emc-pstc that boconn...@t-yuden.com wrote (in <F7E9180F6F7F58
40858d3db815e4f7ad1f2...@cms21.t-yuden.com>) about 'single fault
conditions' on Wed, 29 Jan 2003:

>The environment being considered is a switching power supply. The technique
>that safety agencies use to simulate a SFC on a power FET does not seem,
>IMHO, to simulate the actual failure mode of the device. To wit: when the
>mosfet fails short, it blows itself open; so the amount of current "sucked"
>out of mains, e.g., the PFC FET, would probably open the component after a
>few input cycles. But if I apply a direct mechanical short (source to
>drain), current is being forced to flow until the fuse blows, or until some
>series trace or component opens.

Agreed.

>The Bad: some FETs fail very violently, and can actually be a fire hazard
>and/or shock hazard in open-frame switchers;

Really? There doesn't seem to be enough combustible material to cause a
fire hazard, and an open-frame switcher always has to be in some sort of
outer enclosure, doesn't it? So it's not clear how a shock hazard could
arise.

> but if the FET itself does not
>provide the short circuit, we will never know....

Indeed: the external short-circuit doesn't simulate the device failure.

>The Good: providing a "continuous" (mechanical) short will reveal if there
>are other components in the current path that could be cause the unit to
>fail in an unsafe mode.
Agreed.

>Although, according to QA records, these components
>have never failed, so it can be both demonstrated by design equations and
>empirical evidence that the SFC test does necessarily demonstrate anything
>relevant...
>
>The Ugly: Safety testing results in design corrections that do not increase
>product safety.
>
>So would it be legitimate to over-drive the gate, forcing short circuit
>current to flow through the FET, but not to apply a mechanical short across
>the component? Experiences & comments are appreciated.

Doesn't the gate-to-drain short simulate this reasonably well?
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!