I read in !emc-pstc that Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> wrote (in
<200301281747.jaa29...@epgc264.sdd.hp.com>) about 'Unity Power Factor'
on Tue, 28 Jan 2003:

>Hi John:
>

>>   >    No, this is not much of an issue for the U.S. (unless your facility
is
>>   >    actually affecting the utility);
>>
>>   ... or frying the neutral conductors with third-harmonic current.
>
>In the USA, this has largely been fixed by a change in
>the USA National Electrical Code.

There must be quite a number of installations that are not yet upgraded.

>When the load is largely electronic (off-line rectifiers)
>the Code now requires a larger neutral conductor in three-
>phase distributions.

Yes, we do that in UK as well, for new installations. In some cases, the
neutral, which is the same size as the phase conductors, is supplemented
by another conductor, because the neutral current can, in an extreme
case, exceed the phase current.

>Many constructions, while supplied from a three-phase source,
>are wired as single-phase.  So, in this case, the neutral
>only carries the current of one phase, and we don't "fry"
>the neutral.

That is a good solution.

Are there any other problems appearing in the field which can be
reliably determined as due to concentrations of non-linear loads of less
than 3 kVA or so?
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!