Hi John:

>   Aren't you in the USA? If so, you must have imagined the peak-
>   flattening. I am assured by the US experts on SC77A/WG1 that this
>   phenomenon is unknown in USA, and the only effect of IEC/EN 61000-3-2 is
>   that it increases the prices of PCs dramatically and keeps US products
>   out of Europe. To which my answer is 'McEnroe!' (YCNBS!)
>
>   At least, they argued that way for about 10 years. The present US chums
>   are far more sensible. Even so, 'peak flattening' rarely figures in
>   their vocabulary.

As Ken Javor described, in the USA, voltage
distortion is largely a local (privately-owned
wiring) premises problem due to "excessive"
series resistance between the load and the
point where the utility connects to the local
premises wiring.

Voltage distortion at the point where the utility
(public network) connects to the local premises
wiring is rare.

As mentioned in another message, the effect of
non-linear loads (in the USA) on the utility
(public) network is very low due to our use of
many small distribution transformers as compared
to the large distribution transformers used in
Europe.  The effects of non-linear loads in the
USA are highly localized, and, in commercial
and industrial sites, tend to be owned by the
site owner.

Voltage distortion on utility (public) networks
in the USA tends to occur near sites of aluminum
smelting and electric blast furnaces.

Best regards,
Rich