enforced by
> >either the State, the County, or the City.  These are the
> >"jurisdictions."
>
> That's what I meant by 'delegated....'

Except that there is no delegation.  Rather, the case is one
of supersession:  municipal to county to state to federal,
in that order.  Generally, the "higher" level of government
trumps the "lower."  However, a number of complaints and
court cases have been brought by the "lower" governmental
bodies against "higher" levels of government for treading on
their jurisdiction where they have questionable legal basis
to.

> I'm sure I read here about different attitudes to
> DIY modifications at
> City, County and State levels, each level
> claiming authority - no
> response like 'We don't have jurisdiction; you
> have to ask City about that'.

I have run into something like this.  The city deferred to
the county in some areas (major construction issues like
home remodeling) and the county deferred to the city in
others (ancillary constructions like fences, storage sheds,
etc.).

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager