> The only thing it lacks (which is almost inevitable, and is virtually
> impossible to keep up to date) is a town-by-town (etc.) listing like you
> used to find in the US Department of Commerce "Electricity Supplies
Abroad"
> booklet. This booklet had a red cover (if I remember correctly)and was
around
> in the 1970's. However, if anyone still has an old copy, then it would
> probably be some sort of guide to the areas which might be the
> "odd-balls" - it certainly did mention the 127/220V 3-phase situation in
> Belgium and some other parts of Europe.

The 1997 edition (revised Jan 2001) no longer has a red cover, sad to say,
but it IS on the internet:
http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/machinery/ecabroad/

It is called "ELECTRIC CURRENT ABROAD" (odd, because it has more to say
about voltage and frequency than current!)
Published by the Office of Machinery, part of the  US Department of
Commerce's International Trade Administration. "The Office of Machinery
(OM) assists U.S. businesses in the exportation of production machinery and
general components."

PS: I would agree that it is impossible to keep this kind of stuff up to
date. It may or may not be that the BSI document is better, I do not have a
copy. The DoC (Dept of Commerce, in this case) document is free. (To
paraphrase Ted Rook and the Peoples Front of Judea, "When was the last time
the government did something for me?")  I guess I would like to have both,
and see if there was a consensus.

best regards, glyn
TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc.
Glyn R. Garside