On defense of the use of symbols:

I haven't read every posting on this thread, but as I understand it, for
the indoor use symbol, even the original poster has since stated that he
was pretty sure what it meant. It seemed to me that  his original question
was mainly focussed on where it came from; i.e. he just wanted to confirm
that it "officially" means no more and no less than what it seems to mean.

Personally, IF/when a warning is required at all (separate issue!) I would
much prefer a symbol than some small print in a language that I can't read.
(And remember that even in developed areas including USA and EU, the
functional literacy rate is significantly less than 100%.)

best regards, glyn
TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc.
Product Safety & -Quality
Industrial Machinery Division (Chicago Office)

Glyn R. Garside
Senior Engineer
1945 Techny Rd, Unit 4
NORTHBROOK, IL 60062-5357, USA