Hello Lou and Rich,

Thanks for investigating this. It appears that we are living with a very
old German standard that can be better replaced by using IEC 60529 for
Ingress Protection (IP). Many safety standards are now making reference to
IP numbers, so this "for indoor use" marking is unnecessary by present day
standards.

Best regards,
Ron Wellman

    http://ieeepstc.mindcruiser.com/