I read in !emc-pstc that Gregg Kervill <gr...@test4safety.com> wrote (in
<dbebjpdnadnbkogldojioeejcaaa.gr...@test4safety.com>) about 'Custom
Units in EU' on Tue, 25 Feb 2003:
>Please re-read John - we are not is disagreement

I understand that now.

>My original statement - 'ONLY If they comply to harmonized standards they
>are "deemed to be" "safe"'  is correct.

H'mm. I think that the implications of the eyebrows "" are not clear. A
fourth bullet point about the alternative to applying standards would
have made your point more clearly.

>You statement "Conformity to standards is NOT the only way of demonstrating
>compliance with Directives" is also correct - but they are not "DEEMED" nor
>are they "Presumed" to be in compliance with the Directives.

Not 'deemed', but are 'presumed', I think. Because of your last point
below. The Notified Body cannot PROVE that the product is safe, it can
only endorse a presumption that it is.

>The point that I tried (and failed) to make was that the other ways of
>demonstrating compliance place a greater onus of proving (and associated
>risk) upon the company PROVING safety.

Indeed; the alternative route is generally more difficult and costly,
and is only to be followed if that is not so in a particular case.

>After all - we cannot PROVE something is safe - the best we can do is to
>eliminate the potential hazards that we can find.

Quite right.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!