Hi John:

>   Is it not permitted to express a personal preference on this group? I
>   *prefer, personally*, not to use printed board traces as parts of the
>   PEC. I'm not suggesting that should be in IEC 60950 or any other
>   standard.

Of course we express personal preferences in
this group!  Almost every message is a personal
preference.  :-)

The point of my message is to argue against your
personal preference as there is nothing inherently
wrong with PWB traces as part of the PE circuit.

Some SMPS use a grounded heat sink -- on the PWB
-- for the switching transistors.  In this case,
the electrical circuit path from the heat sink to
the earth terminal of the IEC 60320 connector is
a part of the PE circuit, and must be capable of
carrying the fault current.  Running a wire from
the heat sink to the terminal is a manual job,
and introduces two connections that are operator-
dependent whereas the PWB connections are not.

Another point... which I hesitate to mention...
is that, while Y2 capacitors require connection
to a PE return, some test houses require a PE
return for Y1 capacitors!

In my experience, PWB PE circuits are common,
and most difficult to obviate.

Best regards,
Rich