I support both John's opinions.

I don't want PC traces for PE circuits outlawed in the standards because
there may be some valid reason to do that, but I have never come across it
in ITE or domestic appliances.

Based on my experience all mains circuits are provided with double or
reinforced insulation. I believe the cost hit for that construction can be
essentially nothing.

Consequently nothing is connected to the so-called PE trace (or more
correctly, a PC trace connected to the product's earthing means) except the
approved Y caps, and possibly one or more SELV circuits.

When inexperienced test engineers mentioned high current withstand of  PC
traces, I  point out that the mains circuits cannot fault to earthed
circuits as a result of a single fault.  Therefore, the test is not
required.

Lou Aiken, LaMer LLC
27109 Palmetto Drive
Orange Beach, AL