From: "John Woodgate" <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>
To: <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: flicker & harmonics currents reduction

> I read in !emc-pstc that Eurtronik Studioerre <studioe...@eurtronik.it>
> wrote (in <000201c2ea17$1d29a0d0$6401a8c0@Seinternet>) about 'flicker &
> harmonics currents reduction' on Fri, 14 Mar 2003:
>
> >does anybody know a way to reduce flickering & harmonics currents in
order to
> >meet EN 61000-3-2 EN 61000-3-3 in consumer electronics products?
>
> It can be easy or almost impossible, but if it's really impossible,
> there are special provisions to overcome that.
>
> >Especially, I have a steam cleaning machine with phase-cut power control
> >(similar to light dimmers) that doesn't want to meet the two standards
together.

> >The phase-cut control gives a lot of problems in harmonic currents, but
goes
> >well for the flicker.
>
> You don't give enough information. What is the power? Which Class of EN
> 61000-3-2 do you think the product falls into?

The power is 2K2W (pure resistive load). The steam cleaning machine falls
into A class. I'm sure of that, because I have a flicker + harmonic currents
measuring machine that gives me all answers needed, included current
waveform.

> >On the other hand, switching the power on and off in a slow (seconds)
duty
> >cycle, goes well for the harmonic currents limits, but it creates an hard
> >flicker problem!
>
> Yes.
> >
> >I know that introducing a Power Factor Corrector circuit helps so much in
> >harmonic currents reduction, but this is very expensive....
>
> It is indeed, and there MAY be no need. Please answer the questions
> above and then we'll see what can be done.
> --

Thanks a lot in advance for your interest.
Many compliments for this dramatically intereresting forum-site, and sorry
for my bad english.

Federico Quadri
Eurtronik Studioerre Srl
Via Andrea Costa, 35