Hi Richard:

>   > Products should be designed so that no safety symbols/words are required
>   (at least for the user/operator).
>
>   A very laudable viewpoint and one that is easily achievable in the examples
>   you provided.  However, with certain products there has to be a residual
>   risk or the product simply will not function.  Show me an electric chainsaw
>   that has no residual risk and I'll show you a piece of worthless junk.

I don't recall my gas chainsaw as having any safety
symbols on it.

The example of a chainsaw necessarily invokes, under
the HBSE scheme of the safety world, behavioral
safety.

Behavioral safety is when the safety of both you and
others is dependent on your behavior.  The prime
example is that of driving a car on a public road.

Behavioral safety necessarily assumes training in
the equipment operation, including safety operation.

Our discussions are directed towards equipment
safety, especially in regard of insidious hazardous
energy sources.  This topic is very much different
than safety of obvious hazardous energy sources.

Symbols are mostly used to provide information
about insidious hazards rather than obvious hazards.

Best regards,
Rich

ps:  I assume your reference to "residual risk"
     is the same as defined in ISO/IEC 51.  If you
     are interested, I have a comparison of this
     document to HBSE which I would be happy to
     send to you.