Hi Richard:

>   As you know, standards are not static things set in stone.  If you think
>   that IEC 60417 needs to be changed to improve understanding then join the
>   relevant committee and make a proposal.  No proposal, no change.  Even if
>   everyone on this exploder list were to express their agreement with your
>   sentiment, and even if they were to subsequently agree exactly what the
>   change should be, then that would count for nothing unless someone took an
>   action to propose and champion the change.  That's just a fact of life in
>   any standards making forum that I've been associated with, and is certainly
>   true in the IEC.

Agreed.

However, I don't believe criticism of a standard
demands that one must take action to change that
standard.

This thread started with a question for artwork.
I provided some critical fodder in regard of the
symbol.  The paper I referred to included a
proposal.  However, as you have pointed out, a
proposal goes nowhere without a champion.  So,
the proposal in the referenced paper appears
dormant.

While I feel the 417 definitions are not
sufficient and thereby partly contribute to
misuse of the symbols, the lack of sufficient
definition is not causing an unduly difficult
situation in the safety world.

I choose not to champion such changes at this time.

Best regards,
Rich